Friday 6 January 2012

Descendants

Descendants- A Book Review




                I now have two autographed books in my library. The first one is Bedtime Story, by Robert J Wiersema, the second is R Lynn’s Descendants.  No, I haven’t gone to book signings lately, Robert J Wiersema happens to live in Victoria, and the copies at Bolen Books are signed (I mean, shh… I met him) and I’m lucky enough to have coffee with Rebecca Lynn from time to time. “Coffee” usually somehow migrates to the bookstore, where we march through the young adult section,  commenting and marveling over all the shiny new releases, and both end up staggering out the door with a huge armful of books. (Yes, we have a problem, admitting it is the first step to recovery.)
 I just finished Descendants, and I have to warn you, it will leave you frustrated and itching to get your hands on the next book immediately.  Warnings aside, Descendants is the story of Sollara, who finds herself thrown into a world she hardly dreamed of (our world) after living for years underground. It’s bizarre, seeing the world through the eyes of someone who has never seen a car before, and isn’t sure what a TV is or how it works. Warning: Spoilers ahead- It is also an incredibly different take on the story of the lost city of Atlanticus, and of all things…vampires.  Wait, wait! Before you walk off shaking your head in disgust, I know you think you’re sick of them, but I literally got halfway through the book before I realized that’s what they were.  They aren’t just normal vampires, (or even the sparkly, glittery kind).  Rebecca Lynn reworks vampire mythology, the origin of the species, into something you’ve truly never seen before.  I used to love vampire books and movies, but now the entire damn thing has been ruined for me, so Descendants was truly a breath of fresh air.
                Now that I’ve finished the book, I will have to sit back and wait impatiently for the next installment, Two Bodies: One Soul. In the meantime, I’ll just sit here and stroke my autographed copy and mutter “Pree-eetty” under my breath. Kidding, just kidding….mostly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment